Sunday, March 20, 2016

Jim's NC to PA Hike - Part 5

Here is the journal of Jim's next four days:
     
Thurs., Mar. 17 - HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!    Jim's voice:   After breakfast we bade goodbye to our hosts, Gene, Elizabeth & Merlin, who have treated us so well these last two days. My hike today took me along the James Monroe Highway directly into the historic town of Leesburg.  Within a couple of miles I passed the entrance to Oatlands, an 1803 plantation that for 50 years now has been a National Trust for Historic Preservation property.  We had heard about Oatlands from Gene & Elizabeth who are active on its board and she was interim executive director for six months.  By noon I was passing through the old section of Leesburg and shortly thereafter Jane and I met up for lunch.  We had a relaxing lunch before returning to the road.  There, near the point of departure was a gigantic Catholic church, St. John the Apostle (dedicated in August, 2012).  We decided that we wanted to see the inside, hoping it was unlocked - and it was!   We admired the interior of this beautiful edifice (see picture), said a few prayers and departed.  
I had now just three miles to walk to finish the day's hike, the destination being the White's Ferry terminal. Tomorrow we will take the ferry across the Potomac River to Maryland.  My "Uber Jane" was waiting for me at the ferry.  We then drove to our next hosts, Beth & Chuck - she is the daughter of a NJ friend.  We were entertained by their five year old twins, Benjamin and Allyson and their dog, Molson, another lovable dog.  
Miles Today - 13.5..... Total Cumulative Miles - 298.5

Fri., Mar. 18Jane's voice:    We drove to the ferry and boarded fairly quickly.  This ferry is the oldest privately operated ferry in the country dating back several hundreds of years.  It crosses the Potomac River on a single cable and the ride takes all of about 5 minutes and costs $5.  Today's route was sufficiently complicated that Jim wanted to drive the route before walking it.  It turned out to be a series of hilly country roads with little traffic - just what he wanted - no trucks spewing fumes, no noisy vehicles passing too close for comfort.  We bought him a Subway tuna sandwich in a nearby town and returned to the ferry parking lot.  Jim insisted on walking from the car down to the river to make sure that his hike started in the right spot - NO GAPS PERMITTED!   Jim enjoyed a cool and very breezy sunny day walking up and down the hills of this part of Maryland.  At 1pm he came upon a county park and sat at a picnic table enjoying his sandwich and banana lunch.  That took 23 minutes and that would be his only rest stop for the day.  A little over 5 hours after starting today Jim walked into the town of Clarksburg.  I tooted the horn as I passed him and found the left turn that he had earlier told me would be there, another successful pickup.  
At this point Jim is almost exactly on schedule but is concerned about the weather forecast for the next two days - cold rain for tomorrow and snow or freezing rain on Sunday.  This will definitely put a crimp in his hike schedule.  
Meanwhile, my day was not quite as good as Jim's since I damaged my car entering a parking garage in Frederick, MD.  It was a tight turn and there was another car coming toward me and I guess I cut it too sharply to avoid the other car as I scraped a barrier of some kind - UGH!   Jim is so understanding as he reassures me that it is only a car - "this is why we don't buy expensive cars, my dear".  *:x lovestruck
Miles Today - 17..... Total Cumulative Miles - 315.5

Sat., Mar. 19Jim's voice:   HELLO TO THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING!  And what a day it was!  We got up to a forecast of rain and possibly snow beginning late morning.  So Jane and I hustled back to yesterday's finish point right after breakfast.  There were two alternative routes for today's hike - one involving far more turns onto small country roads than the other.  So we drove both and I decided to stay on the larger roads longer.  Back at the starting point at 9:30 I donned all my best rain gear.  At this point the temperature was 39 and the rain was light and intermittent.  For the next two and a half hours I stayed dry and was so warm that I had to unzip my rain jacket, fleece jacket and shirt to stay cool enough.  Today's roadside treasures were golf balls even though I passed no golf courses along the way!  I picked up two and left four for others.  At six miles I was in the town of Damascus and made quick use of a Burger King restroom.  At noon I stopped for the only lunch I would have today - a banana and a half dozen M&M's.  By now it was getting quite chilly - obviously the temperature was dropping and I was all zipped up again.  Just a few minutes after "lunch" it started to rain - first light then more seriously.  But my heavy duty rain gear held up well - thanks to Princeton classmate Bruce DeBolt, who delivered them to me when I needed them badly in a cold storm in Washington state in 2013.  A few miles later the rain had turned to a wintry mix including wet snow.  A couple of miles later it was all snow.  Now I was enjoying myself as if back in NH.  I was warm and dry except for my sandal-clad feet which were soaked and cold.  Obviously the temperature had dropped and I would learn later that it was down to 32On the route this afternoon I was walking past many attractive farms of various types.  A number of them indicated that this farm had been preserved forever as farmland, thanks to a conservation easement with the local county.  How happy I am that this beautiful area will not be turned into new housing developments like many I have passed in recent days.  By telephone contact I knew that Jane would be waiting for me at my finish point at the end of 16 miles.  By the time I got there my hands were cold as well as my feet, but I was happy to have finished a challenging day's hike.  Jane's reaction upon picking me up was "and this is fun???"   After showering and relaxing we went to Palm Sunday Mass at the beautiful St. John the Evangelist church in downtown Frederick, MD. 
Miles Today - 16..... Total Cumulative Miles - 331.5

Sun., Mar. 20 - Jane's voice:   We woke up to an extremely cold morning and neither Jim nor I was anxious to leave the warm hotel.  Jim rationalized that today's 16 mile target would still give him a mid afternoon finish even if we started late.  So we dawdled over breakfast and packing up but were finally on the road by 9:30.  The trip back to yesterday's finish was quite pretty with yesterday's dusting of snow making the fields look like they were pancakes sprinkled with confectioners sugar.  Arriving at today's starting point Jim loaded on all of his cold weather clothing including an extra pair of socks - five layers on his torso!  As is our custom I kissed him goodbye, told him to be safe and may God be with you.   Jim was soon walking through many miles of farmland like yesterday - this is truly beautiful country here with rolling hills that are pretty to look at but a bit challenging to hike.  Today's elevation varied over 200 feet from high to low according to Jim's altimeter watch.  But he figures he walked up and down several thousand feet over the course of the day.  This is putting extra pressure on Jim's tired body as we near the completion of this hike.  He seems to be holding up fine.  Around 12:15 I called Jim from the quaint town of Sykesville where we will be spending the night at a lovely B&B.  Coincidentally Jim was probably less than a mile away walking through this town.   The main street is populated with several lovely shops and restaurants and an old railroad station and many beautifully restored Victorian homes.   The bookstore that I went into after lunch was actually serving complimentary mimosas - how civilized!   Jim spent much of the afternoon walking through residential neighborhoods as he approached the major road that would be the last four miles of today's walk.  Although traffic was heavy on this road he enjoyed a very wide shoulder all the way to the end.  In this stretch he walked across two bridges over a reservoir - each of them at least a quarter mile long.  Jim finds it interesting that the counties both here in Maryland and in Virginia have big signs letting you know when you are entering or leaving them.  Near the end of the day Jim entered Baltimore County and a sign indicated he was just 12 miles away from the city of Baltimore.  Tomorrow the hike will take us well north of Baltimore into the Hunt Valley section of Maryland. 
Miles Today - 16..... Total Cumulative Miles - 347.5
 
Pictures:
1 - St. John the Apostle Church altar - Leesburg, VA
2 - Benjamin and Allyson
3 - White's Ferry Sign
4 - Cars on the Ferry to Maryland
5 - Jim at Day's End on March 18
6 - Waiting for Jim on Stormy Day
7 - Jim's Triumphant Arrival
8 - Jim's Drive Back to Hotel
9 - Daffodils in the Snow








No comments:

Post a Comment